In this World of Warcraft guide everything revolves around Burning Crusade Classic Fishing and how to level it.
This guide is based on the state of the closed beta.
Changes are still possible at any time.
Outland Fishing Trainer
There are no particular fishing trainers in Outland.
You need to purchase Master Fishing – The Art of Angling from Juno Dufrain at Cenarion Refuge, Zangarmarsh and read it to unlock a potential Fishing skill of 375.
“Find Fish” Tracking
There is one key fishing ability: Find Fish, which is not a required skill nor trainable by purchasing a book or doing a quest. You have to read the Weather-Beaten Journal, which is contained in trunks fished up from wreckage pools on any continent. One read, you can track fishing pools on your minimap.
You can find the journal in all types of trunks fished from wreckage, it has the highest chance to be contained in a Curious Crate. The Curious Crate can be fished from any school in the Burning Crusade zones.
Of course you can also level fishing without this journal, it just makes fishing for specific fish a lot faster.
To get your profession to 300 you can use our Classic Fishing Guide.
Like other gathering professions, you can stay in Old World content as long as you want.
You will find a lot of fish schools and wreckage pools in Zangarmarsh. Just keep going until you hit 375.
Start near Umbrafen Lake and The Lagoon until you have a fishing skill of 350, then move between Marshlight, Serpent, or Sporewind Lakes. The last levels can be extremely time consuming but it will be worth it once you can catch everything you want.
When fishing at higher levels your equipment can affect your success!
By completing certain quests, winning the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza or adding enhancements, dailies and fishing can be easier. There are several ways to improve your fishing experience. Find them in the lists below.
- Fishing Pole – Sold by any Trade Supplies or Fishing Supplies vendor
- Strong Fishing Pole – Sold by most Fishing Supplies vendors in major cities.
- Big Iron Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 100, + 20 Fishing – Found in Shellfish Trap along the southwest coast of Desolace, beyond Shadowprey Village)
- Seth’s Graphite Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 200, + 20 Fishing, Reward from Rather Be Fishin’
Bring Seth in Lower City 8x Pristine Shimmerscale Eel, looted from Shimmerscale Eelfound in the lake north of Cenarion Thicket in Terrokar Forest
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Angler FC-5000 (Horde only, Requires Fishing 100, +25 Fishing, Reward from Snapjaws, Mon! – Kill 15 Saltwater Snapjaw in the Hinterlands and return to Katoom the Angler in Revantusk Village.)
- Arcanite Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 300, + 35 Fishing – Reward from winning the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza)
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots – Fishing +5
Reward from turning Brownell’s Blue Striped Racer into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Lucky Fishing Hat – Fishing +5
Reward from turning Keefer’s Angelfish into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat – Fishing +5 – Use-Effect: Fishing +75 for 10 minutes
Can be contained in Bag of Fishing Treasures
- High Test Eternium Fishing Line – Fishing + 5
Reward from turning Dezian Queenfish into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Spun Truesilver Fishing Line – Fishing + 3
Can be contained in Bag of Fishing Treasures
- Shiny Bauble
+ 25 Fishing for 10 minutes – sold by most Trade and Fishing Supplies vendors
- Nightcrawlers (requires Fishing 50)
+ 50 Fishing for 10 minutes – dropped by Undead mobs in Vanilla
- Bright Baubles (requires Fishing 100)
+ 75 Fishing for 10 minutes – Sold by most Trade and Fishing Supplies vendors
- Aquadynamic Fish Attractor (requires Fishing 100)
+ 100 Fishing for 10 minutes – sold by most Fishing Supplies vendors.
- Sharpened Fish Hook (requires Fishing 100)
+ 100 Fishing for 10 minutes – drops from Bag of Fishing Treasures, 75% chance.
- Enchant Gloves – Fishing (+ 2 Fishing permanently)
- Captain Rumsey’s Lager: + 10 Fishing for 3 min
Learned from Recipe: Captain Rumsey’s Lager – Dropped from Bag of Fishing Treasures
To pick up Fishing Dailies you need to be Level 70 and have a Fishing skill of at least 350.
Head over to Old Man Barlo at the lake north of Shattrath in Terokkar. He has these quests to offer:
- Bait Bandits
Catch a Blackfin Darter in any of the rivers in Terokkar Forest.
- Crocolisks in the City
Catch a Baby Crocolisk in Stormwind or Orgrimmar.
- Felblood Fillet
Catch a Monstrous Felblood Snapper from either Hellfire Peninsula or Shadowmoon Valley.
- Shrimpin’ Ain’t Easy
Bring back 10x Giant Freshwater Shrimp. They are cut out of Bloated Barbed Gill Trout which can be caught throughout Zangarmarsh.
- The One That Got Away
Catch the World’s Largest Mudfish from any of the lakes in Nagrand.
Its a good idea to add a lure of some sort (Aquadynamic Fish Attractor, Sharpened Fish Hook or Bright Baubles) to your fishing rod. It will help to fish the right fish instead of unneeded ones.
The quest always rewards the same: a Bag of Fishing Treasures. This Bag can contain companion pets, cooking recipes, and fishing equipment. The most notable items that CAN be in the bag are:
- Eye of the Sea
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat
- Spun Truesilver Fishing Line
- Recipe: Captain Rumsey’s Lager
- Jaggal Pearl
- Shadow Pearl
- Mote of Water
- Sharpened Fish Hook
- Weather-Beaten Journal
When Crocolisks in the City is up, you also have a small chance to find a mini-crocolisk companion pet in the Bag of Fishing Treasures. These are the potential pets:
Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza
Every Sunday from 14:00 – 16:00 server time there is a realm-wide event which takes place in Stranglethorn Vale called Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza. During the event, rare fish are able to be caught throughout Stranglethorn Valley from the event-exclusive School of Tastyfish. You can win the contest by being the first to bring 40x Speckled Tastyfish to Riggle Bassbait in Booty Bay. If you are lucky enough to win, you can choose between these prices:
- Arcanite Fishing Pole (+35 Fishing)
- Hook of the Master Angler (Trinket – Turns you into a fish which increases swim speed and allows you to breathe underwater. Any casting or combat break this effect.)
If you don’t win, there are other rare fish that can be turned in to Fishbot 5000 while the event is live for different rare items. These are:
- Brownell’s Blue Striped Racer – Reward: Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots
- Dezian Queenfish – Reward: High Test Eternium Fishing Line
- Keefer’s Angelfish – Reward: Lucky Fishing Hat
Terokkar Forest – Flying Only Lakes
There are 3 lakes in the mountains of Terokkar you can only reach with a flying mount: Blackwind Lake, Lake Ere’Noru, and Lake Jorune. These are the best spots to find Highland Mixed School in which you can fish for the most needed fish. These schools have the highest drop rate for Furious Crawdad in the entire game. They also contain Golden Darter, Enormous Barbed Gill Trout,and Huge Spotted Feltail.
Mr. Pinchy and Fishing 527
Finally, these pools are also the only place where you’ll be able to catch Mr. Pinchy, the item which gives you a chance of acquiring Magical Crawdad Box, the rarest mini-pet in the game.
To catch Mr. Pinchy, you’re best bet is to use enough gear in order to reach an effective skill level of 527 in Fishing — the highest possible. To do this, you’ll need:
- Fishing Skill 375
- Arcanite Fishing Pole
- Lucky Fishing Hat or Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots
- Enchant Gloves – Fishing
And here is a picture of the lakes locations:
For suggestions, improvement proposals (e.g. cheaper or faster possibilities) or
to report bugs you can always contact me on the Goldgoblin Discord.
Thank you very much!