In this WoW Classic profession guide you will learn how to level up the Fishing profession in in Wrath of the Lich King Classic quickly and efficiently. Of course there are also corresponding guides for Classic Fishing and Burning Crusade Fishing. You want to level up another profession? Then take a look at the overview of all profession guides.
- 1 Northrend Fishing Trainer
- 2 Fishing: 1-375
- 3 “Find Fish”
- 4 Fishing Equipment
- 5 Fishing Dailies
- 6 Fishing Tournaments
- 7 Valuable fish for Cooking
- 8 Sea Turtle Mount and Pets
This guide is based on the state of the closed beta.
Changes are still possible at any time.
Northrend Fishing Trainer
Angelgroßmeister can be learned in several locations in Northrend. The first and probably most convenient location is the area where the other Grandmaster trainers can be found in your faction’s first quest area. For the Alliance, this means you’ll need to find Old Man Robert in Valiance Keep, and for the Horde, Fishy Ser’ji in Warsong Hold will do the same.
The best thing about fishing is that you can do it anywhere. Since you don’t have to make anything while fishing, you can only improve your skill by fishing successfully. This means that you actually have to catch something (even if it’s just trash) when you cast your line. The higher your skill the more successful fishing casts you need to increase your skill. The number of successful fishing casts per skill level are:
- 1 – 115 = 1 Fish
- 115 – 135 = 2 Fish
- 135 – 160 = 3 Fish
- 160 – 190 = 4 Fish
- 190 – 215 = 5 Fish
- 215 – 295 = 6 Fish
- 295 – 315 = 9 Fish
- 315 – 355 = 10 Fish
- 355 – 425 = 11 Fish
- 425 – 450 = 12 Fish
If your profession is not yet at least 350, the Classic Fishing Guide and the Burning Crusade Fishing Guide will help you. Whether you want to skill from 350 to 375 with Northrend recipes or still with Burning Crusade materials is up to you (and the prices in your auction house).
There is one very useful trait when it comes to fishing and that is Fischsuche. It is not a requirement to be able to fish and you can’t learn it from a teacher, buy a book for it or do a quest. You can learn to fish by reading a Verwittertes Tagebuch. This diary can be fished in all scrap deposits in every body of water on every continent. Once you read it, you can view schools of fish on the minimap.
The diary has the highest chance of being in a Seltsame Kiste. A strange crate can be fished from any shoal in Outland areas. Of course, you can fish without this ability, but it makes fishing for specific fish much faster.
An important aspect of fishing at higher levels is the equipment and enhancements that players use. These can make you more successful when fishing for certain fish, speed up your daily tasks (dailies), or give you a competitive edge in one of the fishing competitions. Within the broad category of equipment, there are several ways to improve your fishing skills either permanently or temporarily. These include: Fishing Poles, equipment, item improvements, lures, enchantments and consumables.
- Fishing Pole – Sold by any Trade Supplies or Fishing Supplies vendor
- Strong Fishing Pole – Sold by most Fishing Supplies vendors in major cities.
- Big Iron Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 100, + 20 Fishing – Found in Shellfish Trap along the southwest coast of Desolace, beyond Shadowprey Village)
- Seth’s Graphite Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 200, + 20 Fishing, Reward from Rather Be Fishin’
Bring Seth in Lower City 8x Pristine Shimmerscale Eel, looted from Shimmerscale Eelfound in the lake north of Cenarion Thicket in Terrokar Forest
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Angler FC-5000 (Horde only, Requires Fishing 100, +25 Fishing, Reward from Snapjaws, Mon! – Kill 15 Saltwater Snapjaw in the Hinterlands and return to Katoom the Angler in Revantusk Village.)
- Bone Fishing Pole and Jeweled Fishing Pole – Requires Fishing 300, Angeln +30, 1% Chance to be in a Bag of Fishing Treasures (Dalaran Fishing Daily Reward)
- Mastercraft Kalu’ak Fishing Pole – Requires Fishing 300, Fishing +30, Water Breathing, sold by Quartermaster Sairuk i n Moa’ki Harbor in Dragonblight or Tanaika in Howling Fjord – requires The Kalu’ak – Exalted
- Arcanite Fishing Pole (requires Fishing 300, + 35 Fishing – Reward from winning the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza)
- Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots – Fishing +5
Reward from turning Brownell’s Blue Striped Racer into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Lucky Fishing Hat – Fishing +5
Reward from turning Keefer’s Angelfish into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat – Fishing +5 – Use-Effect: Fishing +75 for 10 minutes
Can be contained in Bag of Fishing Treasures
- Boots of the Bay – requires Fishing 200, requires +15, Teleports you on use to Booty Bay – Reward for Winning the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby
- High Test Eternium Fishing Line – Fishing + 5
Reward from turning Dezian Queenfish into Fishbot 5000 during the Fishing Extravaganza
- Spun Truesilver Fishing Line – Fishing + 3
Can be contained in Bag of Fishing Treasures
- Shiny Bauble
+ 25 Fishing for 10 minutes – sold by most Trade and Fishing Supplies vendors
- Nightcrawlers (requires Fishing 50)
+ 50 Fishing for 10 minutes – dropped by Undead mobs in Vanilla
- Bright Baubles (requires Fishing 100)
+ 75 Fishing for 10 minutes – Sold by most Trade and Fishing Supplies vendors
- Aquadynamic Fish Attractor (requires Fishing 100)
+ 100 Fishing for 10 minutes – sold by most Fishing Supplies vendors.
- Sharpened Fish Hook (requires Fishing 100)
+ 100 Fishing for 10 minutes – drops from Bag of Fishing Treasures, 75% chance.
- Handschuhe – Angeln (Fishing +2)
- Enchant Gloves – Angler (Fishing +5)
- Captain Rumsey’s Lager: + 10 Fishing for 3 min
Learned from Recipe: Captain Rumsey’s Lager – Dropped from Bag of Fishing Treasures
- Underbelly Elixir: Fishing +50 for 10 min
Can be found in the sewers of Dalaran, but also works only when fishing in Dalaran.
To be able to do fishing dailies you need Character Level 70 and Fishing Level 350+.
Dalaran Fishing Daily
In Northrend, Grandmaster Fishing Trainer Marcia Chase will provide you with your fishing daily. You can find her at the fountain in front of the bank in Dalaran. She has five potential quests for you, which change daily. One of them takes place in the Wintergrasp PvP area. The following dailies rotate on a daily basis:
- Blood Is Thicker
Marcia Chase in Dalaran City wants you to bring her 5 Bloodtooth Frenzies.
To do this, catch Bloodtooth Frenzy by killing wild animals and jumping into the water to create a Pool of Blood. You can then fish in this pool.
- Dangerously Delicious
Marcia Chase in Dalaran City wants you to bring her 10 Terrorfish. They can be fished in Wintergrasp.
Olisarra the Kind in Dalaran City wants you to return the Severed Arm to her.
Fish outside the Violet Citadel for a Bloated Slippery Eel and open it to get Severed Arm.
- Jewel Of The Sewers
Marcia Chase in Dalaran City wants you to bring her a piece of Corroded Jewelry. You can fish it in the Underbelly.
- The Ghostfish
Marcia Chase in Dalaran City wants you to discover the mystery of the Phantom Ghostfish.
Fish for a Phantom Ghostfish in Sholazar Basin and eat it!
As a reward for completing their quests, you will receive the Northrend version of the Bag of Fishing Treasures. The rewards of this bag have significantly more value than the Outland version. You will also have a chance to get the Strandkrabbler pet.
Other notable rewards include:
- Bone Fishing Pole
- Jeweled Fishing Pole
- Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat
- Strand Crawler – Pet
- High Test Eternium Fishing Line
- Sealed Vial of Poison (7% Chance)
- Waterlogged Recipe (10% Chance, Reward: 5x Dalaran Cooking Award)
- Glow Worm
- Tiny Titanium Lockbox
The contents of this box include The 5 Ring (3% chance), epic gems such as Runed Stormjewel or Delicate Stormjewel (5 – 26% chance), uncut rare gems such as Sky Sapphire or Forest Emerald (17% chance), or other rare items.
Shattrath Fishing Daily
You can find all information about the Fishing Daily in Burning Crusade Classic HERE.
Every week there are two server-wide fishing contests: the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby and the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza. Both factions can participate in these contests, as the submission of the required fish takes place at neutral locations (Dalaran and Booty Bay, respectively), and the competition is often fierce. The rewards for these competitions are some of the best fishing gear that inclined anglers can own!
The Kalu’ak Fishing Derby
Every Saturday from 14:00-15:00 server time the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby takes place. It begins when Elder Clearwater, who appears at the fountain in Dalaran one hour before the event begins, makes the server-wide announcement. The competition is a race to see who can bring him Schwarzspitzenhai first. These sharks can only be caught during the derby and can be found in pools throughout Northrend, where Pygmy Suckerfish can also be fished.
Since the catch rate for the shark is so low, there is little players can do strategically. The shark can be fished all over Northrend, so the best advice is this:
- Place your Hearthstone in Dalaran!
- Find an area with as with as little competition as possible. It may take several derbies to find the ideal spot, so don’t be afraid to move around and keep searching if your spot is crowded.
- Have plenty of fishing buffs (Baits, enchantments, etc.) on hand!
- Don’t give up! Not being able to deliver the shark first does not mean the end. Even if the first spot is already taken, you can complete Better Luck Next Time and get a BBag of Fishing Treasures!
However, if you finish first, you will have the choice of the following rewards:
- Boots of the Bay – Fishing +15, Teleports you on Use to Booty Bay
- Dread Pirate Ring – Heirloom-Ring (5% more experience for killing enemies)
Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza
Every Sunday from 14:00 – 16:00 server time there is a realm-wide event which takes place in Stranglethorn Vale called Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza. During the event, rare fish are able to be caught throughout Stranglethorn Valley from the event-exclusive School of Tastyfish. You can win the contest by being the first to bring 40x Speckled Tastyfish to Riggle Bassbait in Booty Bay. If you are lucky enough to win, you can choose between these prices:
- Arcanite Fishing Pole (+35 Fishing)
- Hook of the Master Angler (Trinket – Turns you into a fish which increases swim speed and allows you to breathe underwater. Any casting or combat break this effect.)
If you don’t win, there are other rare fish that can be turned in to Fishbot 5000 while the event is live for different rare items. These are:
- Brownell’s Blue Striped Racer – Reward: Nat Pagle’s Extreme Anglin’ Boots
- Dezian Queenfish – Reward: High Test Eternium Fishing Line
- Keefer’s Angelfish – Reward: Lucky Fishing Hat
Valuable fish for Cooking
At the maximum level, your task as a passionate fisherman is to catch fish that are needed for cooking buff meals. The recipes for this cost Dalaran cooking prices, so you should first only buy recipes that you need yourself or with which you can make gold in the auction house. More information about recipes and cooking in general can be found in the Cooking Guide.
Auf Maximalstufe ist eure Aufgabe als leidenschaftlicher Angler Fische zu fangen, die für das Kochen von Stärkungsmahlzeiten (Buff-Food) benötigt werden. Die Rezepte dafür kosten Dalaran-Kochpreise, weshalb ihr zuerst nur Rezepte kaufen solltet, die ihr selbst benötigt oder mit welchen ihr Gold im Auktionshaus machen könnt. Mehr Informationen zu den Rezepten und Kochkunst im Allgemeinen findet ihr im Kochkunst-Guide.
Wenn ihr eure Fische für Gold verkaufen wollt schaut vor dem Angeln ins Auktionshaus, welche rohen Fische oder welches Buff-Food besonders wertvoll ist und sucht euch dann den entsprechenden Ort um zu Angeln.
If you want to sell your fish for gold check the auction house before fishing to see which raw fish or buff food is particularly valuable and then find the appropriate place to fish.
An overview of the fish and what meal is cooked from it can be found below:
- Bonescale Snapper – Snapper Extreme (Hit)
- Darkwater Clam, Giant Darkwater Clam – Dalaran Clam Chowder (Angriffskraft, Zaubermacht)
- Dragonfin Angelfish – Blackened Dragonfin (Agility) und Dragonfin Filet (Strength)
- Fangtooth Herring – Spicy Fried Herring (mp5)
- Glacial Salmon – Firecracker Salmon (Spellpower)
- Imperial Manta Ray – Imperial Manta Steak (Haste)
- Moonglow Cuttlefish – Cuttlesteak (Spirit)
- Musselback Sculpin – Poached Northern Sculpin (Attack Power)
- Nettlefish – Spicy Blue Nettlefish (Crit)
Fische sind ausserdem Zutaten für drei Festmahle in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. Diese versorgen mehrere Spieler mit Stärkungszaubern und werden gerne und oft in Schlachtzügen verwendet. Folgende Fische sind Bestandteile von Festmählern:
Fish are also ingredients for three feasts in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. These provide buffs to multiple players and are popular and often used in raids. The following fish are ingredients of feasts:
- Fish Feast: Glacial Salmon, Musselback Sculpin and Nettlefish
- Gigantic Feast: Deep Sea Monsterbelly and Rockfin Grouper
- Small Feast: Glacial Salmon
Sea Turtle Mount and Pets
Für alle Angler ist die Sea Turtle einer der am meisten gewollten Fänge. Was die Wasserschildkröte kann, kannst sonst nur die Wassergestalt des Druiden dauerhaft: Sie erhöht eure Schwimmgeschwindigkeit! Die Schildkröte ist Beim Aufheben gebunden, ihr müsst sie also selbst fangen. Geangelt werden kann sie in jedem Fischschwarm Nordends. Die Chance sie zu erhalten liegt allerdings bei 1%, Geduld ist also gefragt.
For all anglers, the Sea Turtle is one of the most wanted catches. What the Sea Turtle can do, only the Druid’s water form can do permanently: it increases your swimming speed! The turtle is bound when picking it up, so you have to catch it yourself. It can be caught in any shoal north end. However, the chance to get it is 1%, so patience is needed.
Ausserdem gibt es einige Haustiere, welche ebenfalls geangelt werden können. Zusätzlich zu den in Burning Crusade Classic erhältlichen Toothy, Muckbreath, Snarly und Chuck (können in Bag of Fishing Treasures enthalten sein) und dem in Wrath of the Lich King Classic erhältlichen Strand Crawler (kann in Bag of Fishing Treasures enthalten sein) könnt ihr folgende Haustiere fischen:
Furthermore, there are some pets that can be fished as well. In addition to Toothy, Muckbreath, Snarly, and Chuck available in Burning Crusade Classic (may be included in Bag of Fishing Treasures) and the Strand Crawler available in Wrath of the Lich King Classic (may be included in Bag of Fishing Treasures), you can fish the following pets:
- Mr. Pinchy / Magical Crawdad
Diese Haustiere haben eine 1% Chance aus Highland Mixed School in den Wäldern von Terokkar geangelt zu werden
These pets have a 1% chance of being fished out of Highland Mixed School in the woods of Terokkar
- Giant Sewer Rat
Die Ratte wird mit einer 1% Chance in der Kanalisation von Dalaran gefischt.
The rat is fished with a 1% chance in the sewers of Dalaran.
Well then – Petri Heil!
For suggestions, improvement proposals (e.g. cheaper or faster possibilities) or
to report bugs you can always contact me on the Goldgoblin Discord.
Thank you very much!